TEXT SIZE IN RICH TEXT FIELDS

When I paste or type copy into a RTF the font size comes out very small. Is there any way to assign font sizes to paragraph text and header levels (H1, H2)?

12 replies

null
    • Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Great question David.. I have seen some anomalies in the Rich Text Field (RTF) behavior..  It would be a GREAT enhancement / feature to allow setting the H1, H2, H3 font per database.. :) 

I previously posted a question to the community about the use of RTF vs. multiline text fields..  I do not recall getting many responses. :( 

I have a Getting Things Done (copyrighted by David Allen) style application .. I call it .. GSD .. Getting Sh** Done... and I use a RTF for the notes.. This has been both GOOD and BAD.. I have to close the RTF for the field to be saved...  If I use a multi-line text field.. I simply have to tab off it. 

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the question... The Rich Text field has H1, H2 & H3 in both the Mac and iOS apps.

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Sean..  I understood the question to be .. can we change the font for H1, H2, H3..   One of the anomalies I have seen is that when I copy / paste into an RTF field.. it does not honor the styling... even if I highlight and click the H1 .. 

• David
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Yes, you've interpreted the question correctly. The behaviour of the text presents (Para, H1, H2 etc) is very unpredictable. Sometimes pressing H2 will make no difference at all. Sometimes it will reset the spacing paragraph by paragraph, sometimes it will progressively increase the font size click ty click without changing the line spacing. Pasted text seems to retain some of its styling, which then affects the preset. 

I'm very tempted to make every editing field a multiline text field - but then you have no control at all over size and there's no bolding or italics, which makes it hard to read and differentiate titles and so on. 

Sorry, that's just a long moan, but the RTF just doesn't seem to work properly. Being able to set absolute values to the presents (font and size) as in Wordpress would be so much better and surely isn't that hard to achieve.

• Birger_H
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

RTF will be subject to an overhault with an upcoming new version.

Birger

• David
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Birger when is this overhaul due?  RTF is a real weak point at the moment. It's impossible to get consistent text formatting. Hope this is a priority!

• David
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The new version of RTF is an improvement. Question, though. Is it possible to assign a global font size to a text level?  At the moment the paragraph level text is very small. Thanks!

• Emanuel_Neubert
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

There are ways to get around that by using the formula field + html 

Emanuel 

• David
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Emanuel, can you explain that a little more fully please? Thx.

• Jorg
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi David, 

You can use the html() function and format your text field, e.g.:

html("<b>" + myField + "</b>")

- Jörg

• David
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks, Jorg, but where do I instert that strip of code?

Also, any chance the RTF controls could include highlighting...?

• Agassi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

David, afaik the html works in formula field. In RTF does not.

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 12Replies
  • 3513Views