Button. On click - No empty fields and if there’s a dup confirm before adding record via dialog

I’m trying to make sure all the important fields are filled out when adding new record and if such record already exists to ask for confirmation before proceeding. I’m very beginner at this so I can’t figure out how to get it to work properly. Currently I have this code : 

let LD := 'Load ID';
let mm := 'Yr/Make/Model';
let r := 'Rate ($)';
let pu := 'Pick-Up Date';
let pul := 'Pick-Up Location';
if LD = null then
    alert("Enter Load ID")
else
    if mm = null then
        alert("Enter Year/Make/Model")
    else
        if r = null then
            alert("Enter Rate Amount")
        else
            if pu = null then
                alert("Enter Pick Up Date")
            else
                if pul = null then
                    alert("Enter Pick Up Location")
                else
                    if Broker = null then
                        alert("Add Broker")
                    else
                        if Drivers = null then
                            alert("Add Driver")
                        else
                            let findDup := cnt((select Report)['Load ID' = LD and 'Yr/Make/Model' = mm and 'Rate ($)' = r and 'Pick-Up Date' like pu and
                                        'Pick-Up Location' like pul]);
                            let t := "Add New Load";
                            let m := "Similar record already EXISTS. Would you like to proceed and create New record?";
                            let ans := ["Yes", "No, open existing record", "No, Delete this"];
                            if findDup = 1 then
                                closeRecord()
                            else
                                if findDup > 1 then
                                    if dialog(t, m, ans) = "Yes" then
                                        closeRecord()
                                    else
                                        if dialog(t, m, ans) = "No, open existing record" then
                                            openRecord(record(Report,first(select Report
                                                        where 'Load ID' = LD and 'Yr/Make/Model' = mm and 'Rate ($)' = r and 'Pick-Up Date' = pu and
                                                        'Pick-Up Location' = pul)))
                                        else
                                            if dialog(t, m, ans) = "No, Delete this" then
                                                delete this
                                            end
                                        end
                                    end
                                end
                            end
                        end
                    end
                end
            end
        end
    end
end

I know it’s long and probably there’s a better way to script all that, but It works up to one detail.

if dialog(t, mm, and) = “No,  open existing record” 

I want the current record to be voided and existing to open. But can’t figure out how to get this record to be voided or deleted. 

2 replies

null
    • Fred
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

Welcome to Ninox.

You have encountered the first big design point when developing a DB. How to control data entry. 

May I introduce you the concept of “Dashboards”. You can view this video for a good introduction.

The idea here is that you create a form that your users use to enter in data and then you can do quality control before any records get created. We know we can’t trust users to do the right thing, 😉, so we have to control all aspects of the user interaction to make sure the data is clean and accurate.

It is only a small redesign of your DB, but will be very powerful. I have a DB that only I use, but I use dashboards all the time. I rarely create new records in my raw data tables manually.

• Alina_Morgovsky
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Fred thank you. 
      I ran into a problem with empty records and duplicates, since there’s no save button. And its been messing up my reports. So I was trying to prevent that from happening. And I can’t figure out how to give a command to void record if dialog “No open existing record”. I’d like the system to open existing record and delete current record. I do have a field on my dashboard where if there’s any duplicates it would appear there. But I’d prefer to limit those to the minimum 

Content aside

• 1 yr agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 89Views
  • 2 Following