Embedding a multiple choice dynamic field

I am trying to build a Dashboard that merges various related records for a single "easy" and consolidated view. I've been able to do this using Views however the one challenge I am having is for a Multiple Choice Dynamic field, where I want that to be embedded so a person can check/unchecked the choices. Since it is not a reference field, a Select statement for the view does work. Is there a way to embed a single field into a View on another table?

7 replies

null
    • Fred
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

Let me see if I understand the post.

You want to create a dynamic multi choice (dMC) field in a form that is in another table, but you want that dMC to be influenced by the data in the dashboard?

If that is so then you can either add the following code to the beginning of the dMC field or create a new field with the code:

-at the beginning of your formula-
    let xDash := record(DashboardName,1)

-in a formula field by itself-
    record(DashboardName,1)

Assuming that the record Id of the one record in your dashboard is 1. Otherwise change the number to match your record Id.

Now you can access whatever is selected in the dashboard and use it to filter in whatever table you are in.

• Holly_M
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks Fred and I think it is the other way around, the dMC lives in a Table called "Projects" and I have Dashboard which is a summary view of what needs to be done. So I'd like to show the value of the dMC from Projects, within the Dashboard. You are correct that the Dashboard only has a single record (1). I assume in the above, the formula field goes into the Dashboard, however for the "let xDash :=" does that go into the Projects dMC field? Wouldn't I need a target field for the let xDash go into?

• Fred
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

Just to be clear, you want to create a field in the Dashboard that shows the value of a dMC in Projects?

How do you want to show the values of the dMC from Projects? In a formula field? In a dMC?

Holly M said:
    I want that to be embedded so a person can check/unchecked the choices.

Where do you want this dMC "embedded"?

• Holly_M
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

My Projects table with the Org_dMC field is the original, and my Dashboard table is the target Tar_dMC field. The perfect scenario would be to have them mirror each other so a person could check them in either table/field. If that isn't possible, it would be fine for Dashboard T_dMC field to just show the checks and name and be read only but look like the O_dMC field. Hopefully that makes sense and happy to draw something if that doesn't.

• Fred
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

The one issue I see with using a dMC in your dashboard is that it will make people think they can change the root data by changing the dMC. When that is not the case. The dMC on the dashboard is a new field that exists on the dashboard so any changes there are only reflected in the one record in the dashboard.

To get around this you would have to put a button that would copy the changes or put a Trigger after update in the field. But I’m not sure what would happen if you use a Trigger when you change Projects. Would it try to empty out the original selection?

I think the safest thing would be to show the selections of the Org_dMC with something like:

for loop1 in numbers(Projects.Org_dMC) do
        record(Org_dMC Table Name,loop1).[fieldname]
    end

• Holly_M
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

Agreed on the false impression, and I am trying to plug this into a Formula field within the Dashboard but it is getting hung up on the syntax in the second line. Can't say I understand this well enough if you have a suggestion?

• Fred
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Holly M what is the error message? You did change to the appropriate table name?

Content aside

• 1 yr agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 113Views
  • 2 Following