Search field doesn’t recognise apostrophe…

I have a database with song titles, and have noticed that titles that include apostrophes do not show up in a search…

For example ‘Don’t Go’ will not show up when I search for the word: don’t (but it does when I search for the partial word: don (without the ‘t)

Same thing with the word Can’t… 

I have a title: Can’t Stop…

that doesn’t show up if I search: can’t

but does if I I search Can, or Can Stop

Strangely, if I use the copy and paste function, by going to the title, copying, and then pasting into the search - it works. The titles are being entered on an iPad, just using the standard onscreen keyboard, the same one I’m searching with, so not using any special apostrophe…

What am I missing?

Any assistance most appreciated…

3 replies

null
    • Alain_Fontaine
    • 1 mth ago
    • Reported - view

Which national keyboard are you using?

• martin.1
    • 1 mth ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks for your response Alain.

I’m using the English (Australia) keyboard, but sometimes I’ll copy and paste a title from another source like Wikipedia or elsewhere, and sometimes I’ll dictate instead… does this make a difference?

• Alain_Fontaine
    • 1 mth ago
    • Reported - view

I asked so I could reproduce exactly what happens on your side. When entering a title in a "Text" field, to insert a quote, you either swipe down on the "k" key, or enter numeric mode and touch that same key, which now shows the quote as its main choice. This inserts a "curly", "typographic" quote: <‘>. When entering a value in the "filter" field, you do the same manipulation, but, if you look carefully, you will notice that now, a "straight", "programmer's" quote has been inserted <'>. The two types of quotes are different characters, so no match can happen. To enter a curly quote in the "filter" field, enter numeric mode, long press the k/"quote" key, and swipe to select the curly quote.

Content aside

• 1 mth agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 54Views
  • 2 Following