Print only visible fields automatically

I've created a form in which some fields are only visible if they meet certain criteria. If I print the records with the automatic layout, it automatically prints all the fields even though they are not visible in the form. This makes the printing process annoying since I/ my clients would need to always delete all the unnecessary fields.
Would appreciate any help in this regard :)

8 replies

null
    • Jorg
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sebastian,

you can also use a formula with conditions in the print layout, so that the content of the field is only printed if the condition gives "true".

Best, Jörg

• Consultant and developer
    • Javier
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Jörg, do you have an example of such formula? I don't get it (sorry, new to Ninox). I can create a new formula field, but don't know how to tell the field to show/hide. I'm using the desktop version on Ninox on Mac OS X.

I'm expecting the same behaviour as in the form editor: you can enter the field options and add a formula in the Show only option, but can't see the same options in the print form view.

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You can create a formula field in the print editor and use a formula like this:

if [condition to show field] then [the same formula used in the form] end

This will show a blank field if the conditions are false.

For example if Price*Number then Price*Number end

This will only show the result if the Total is not zero.

Steven

• Javier
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks for the reply, RoSoft_Steven Rooryck, but this will print an empty field. What I want is to use something like the form editor in Access or FileMaker Pro, where the fields that are not visible do not ocuppy any space in the page. For example, if I create an image field and the field is empty, there is still a white space in the page...

Maybe there is another way if I could use HTML to print the forms instead of generating a PDF?

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Another approach could be. If there are few fields that need to be made invisible, you may want to opt for different print layouts. Via a button ninox will then choose the right layout to print depending on conditions of the empty fields.

Steven

• Javier
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

thanks for the tip, RoSoft_Steven. It's not the ideal solution (because you will need to maintaing a bunch of different variants of the form) but at least it will behave as if the form editor allowed hiding empty fields.

• FES Minden
    • Sebastian.1
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This is what I've been doing - having multiple print layouts for certain scenarios because having lots of white empty space is not ideal. I hope the day will come where Ninox will finally update the print layout manager...

• Javier
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I totally agree with you, Sebastian. Ninox is an absulte great software but with a second league printing options (of course, there are worse SaaS apps, but coming from complete desktop solutions like Filemaker or Access with such a great print output capabilities...)

Content aside

• 2 yrs agoLast active
  • 8Replies
  • 1206Views